Monday, March 12, 2012

Slice of LIfe #12 - Lists, Lists, Lists

The Slice of Life Challenge is hosted by Two Writing Teachers.

I really love making lists or at least writing things down. I am a very visual and kinesthetic learner. I was never good at audiobooks until I started listening to them in the car - even though there are some times when I start thinking about other things too much and get lost. I have little notebook where I write notes to myself. I am forever talking to my students about writing things down to help them remember. It doesn't make sense to me to try and keep everything in your head, as good as a memory as you think you have. Usually, once I do write something down, I will remember to do it. And usually, if I forget to do something it's because I didn't have time more than I forgot about it. 

Something else I love about making lists: crossing things off! It's the best feeling. I love looking at a scratched out list and knowing I accomplished what I wanted to accomplish. When I teach, I have a list of things to do up on a whiteboard and the kids get to cross off what we have done as we go. They love it...they especially love it if it means getting through the list means getting to something fun like a game, but they love it either way really.

I've been trying to make my lists on my computer or iPad more and more so I don't have a million pieces of paper. Kellee and I created a Google Doc for our Teach Mentor Texts blog so we can keep track of what books we have to review and what events are coming up on the blog or for the blog to participate in. It was getting overwhelming trying to see into the future and remember so now we have it all in one place. On my laptop, I have a bunch of sticky notes in the widget pages. I have sticky notes for random ideas to remember to audiobooks I have ready to listen to to grocery lists. It's not quite the same to just delete something from a list rather than cross it off, but it does mean the list gets smaller so it's okay. 

This whole list post came about because I am really looking forward to books that are going to be released in May this year. I keep thinking of books and wondering when they are going to be out and then when I check, it's always May! Here are the books on my TBR for May:
I have been waiting for a reeeeeeally long time to read Bitterblue by Kirstin Cashore. I am so excited to read that book. I do have an ARC for See You At Harry's by Jo Knowle so I don't have to wait to read this book: 
I have also had ARCs to read The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom by Christopher Healy and From What I Remember... by Stacy Kramer and Valerie Thomas. These books are coming out in May and I can't wait to be able to talk about them more and tell people to read these books! It's hard to talk about books that others haven't read yet or that they will have to wait to read. I think readers are going to enjoy both of these books.
Do you make lists? Do you have a good system for your lists? I wish I could go completely technological with my lists but I haven't gotten there yet. I haven't figure out how or where to make it work really well. What about you?

No comments: